Tips for old and slow Computers
Save CPU Cycles
Details while scrolling ...: Use
Simulator Aircraft scroll box size ...: Use a higher value to reduce map updates.
- Close the window
Flight Plan Elevation Profile. It will stop all background processing when closed.
- Avoid airspaces. Switch them off using the button on the airspaces toolbar.
- Switch off all AI traffic in the dialog
Connect. See here.
- Use the map projection
Mercator. It consumes less resources since it can use the downloaded image tiles as is and does not transform them to the spherical format.
Reduce Memory Consumption
Replace the complete section
[Settings] in the
little_navmap.ini with the section below to reduce cache sizes.
[Settings] DatabaseCacheKb=5000 InfoQueryAirportCache=100 InfoQueryAirportSceneryCache=100 InfoQueryAirwayCache=100 InfoQueryApproachCache=100 InfoQueryComCache=100 InfoQueryHelipadCache=100 InfoQueryIlsCache=100 InfoQueryNdbCache=100 InfoQueryRunwayCache=100 InfoQueryRunwayEndCache=100 InfoQueryStartCache=100 InfoQueryTransitionCache=100 InfoQueryVorCache=100 InfoQueryWaypointCache=100 MapQueryAirspaceLineCache=100 MapQueryApronCache=100 MapQueryHelipadCache=100 MapQueryParkingCache=100 MapQueryRunwayCache=100 MapQueryRunwayOverwiewCache=100 MapQueryStartCache=100 MapQueryTaxipathCache=100
- Program crashes on start up: Delete the settings and the database files. In Windows 7, 8 or 10 these can be found in
c:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Appdata\Roaming\ABarthel. Delete (or better: rename or move) the files
little_navmap.historyand the directory
little_navmap_db. Try to delete the database first if these cause the problem. Then try to delete the settings files if removing databases did not help.
- Program starts slowly: This can happen if a distance search is enabled in one of the search tabs. The search is executed at each start. Simply disable the distance search or reset the search options to avoid the slow startup.
- Online maps do not load or update: Check your firewall settings if Windows blocks any outgoing connections. Also check if the offline mode was not enabled accidentally in menu
File. Check if Little Navmap can connect to the internet by going to the options dialog on tab
Weather. Use one of the buttons
Testfor NOAA or VATSIM weather. Little Navmap cannot reach the internet if these fail.
- Search shows no result or unexpected results: Check the drop down menu for the change indicator
*and the search fields for any remaining text if the distance search does not give any or unexpected results. Use
Reset Searchin the context menu of the result table or press
Ctrl+Rto clear all search criteria.
- Search or flight plan tables shows strange column names like
airport_idor others: This can happen if the program is updated. Use
Reset Viewin the context menu of the result table.
- Online maps like OpenStreetMap or OpenTopoMap maps can end up blurred when using functionality like
Center Flight Planor
Go to Home. Zoom once in and out using the mouse wheel, overlay zoom buttons or keyboard to fix this. You can also enable Avoid blurred map display by zooming out to next best stepin the options dialog on tab
- The flight plan elevation profile has errors or invalid elevation data: The online elevation data contains several known errors. Use the recommended GLOBE offline elevation data. See here for information how to install the offline data.
- OpenStreetMap shows a dark gray background on some places without hill shading coverage (for example New Zealand). Use another map theme or switch off hill shading for the OpenStreetMap.
- Loading of the scenery database takes too long: Exclude scenery directories containing only landclass, elevation data or other for Little Navmap irrelevant data. You can do that in the
Optionsdialog on the
Scenery Library Databasetab. See Options.
Crash while loading the scenery library database: You can exclude scenery directories in the
Optionsdialog on the
Scenery Library Databasetab if loading of an add-on BGL causes the program to crash. Do not restart the program after it shows the crash dialog and instead load the log file which is typically
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\abarthel-little_navmap.log. The path may vary depending on your Windows installation. Search for the last line in the log-file that looks like:
[2016-10-14 22:58:21.903 default INFO ] unknown: ==== "404 of 521 (77 %)" "APX41080.bgl"
Now search for
APX41080.bgland exclude the file or its directory from loading in the
- Some airport add-ons do not modify the stock airports but only add new scenery and buildings. These add-ons will not be recognized as such and are therefore not highlighted on the map (italic and underlined text).
- Add-on developers have to use all kind of workarounds to avoid FSX or P3D limitations which means the display and information given for add-on airports is not always correct. A lot of these changes are also done to make AI behave properly. Typical examples are: Airports without runways, airports with runway dimensions 0 by 0 ft or 0 ft runway width, taxiways with 0 ft width, seemingly closed taxiways, duplicate airports, duplicate runways in water, taxiways in water, military gates at civilian airports and more.
- Some KML/KMZ files do not show up on the map. Adding a center point pushpin to the KML/KMZ file can fix this.
- Coverage for online elevation and OpenStreetMap hill shading data is limited and currently ends at 60 degree north. Use the OpenTopoMap or Stamen Terrain map themes which have world wide coverage for hill shading.
- There are errors in the online elevation source data (like in northern Italy, Po Valley or Lake Titicaca in Peru and Bolivia) which will show up in the flight plan elevation profile.
- The Mercator projection shows occasional display problems depending on zoom distance like horizontal lines near the anti meridian or missing flight plan segments.
- The Marble floating map overlays on the map can be configured but do not save all settings except their visibility.
- Magnetic declination is partially not set (for example VORDME Cambridge Bay YCB) or inconsistent between airports an adjacent navaids. This is an error in the source data.
- Airports are misplaced (for example Cabo San Lucas, MM15 in Mexico) compared to the background maps. This is an error in the source data and cannot be fixed.
- Very long route legs can disappear from the map when zooming in. The label is still visible though.
- Tooltips of large airspaces can appear at wrong places.
- The wrong procedures are restored sometimes if the flight plan is reloaded when an airport has more than one procedure with the same name. This can happen if using P3D/FSX data only.
- Procedures are drawn incorrectly in some cases.
- The airport search attribute
Proceduresdoes not work correctly in the mixed database. It will show only simulator airports having procedures instead of using the Navigraph airport status.
- The scalebar is not accurate. Use the measurement lines instead.
How to report a Bug
If something goes wrong send me any involved files like KML, PLN or BGL (if copyright permits), Little Navmap's log file and configuration file which both can be located in the about dialog. My e-mail addresses are shown in the about dialog of Little Navmap as well.
Add all necessary information:
- Operating system:
- Windows: 7, 8 or 10
- macOS: El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra
- Linux: which distribution and version
- X-Plane: 10, 11.05 or 11.10 beta version
- FSX, FSX SE, P3D V4 or V4.1
- Add any flight plans or other files if involved in the error
Please add all steps that are necessary to reproduce the error.
If possible send me the log file.
Please compress log files using ZIP when sending by email.
When an error occurs during loading of the scenery library send me the offending file if size permits. The full name and path of the file is shown on top of the error dialog if a specific is the cause.
If you're concerned about privacy when sending log files: The log files will contain all system paths (like your
Documents directory) which will also include your username as a part of the path. They might also contain your computer's name and IP address in your network.
I would suggest you remove this information if you're concerned about it.
In no case are file names of anything but the flight simulator or its configuration files included. No names or contents of personal files are included in the log files.
I strongly recommend sending the log files by private forum message or by email and not attach them to forum posts where they are publicly visible.