66.1. Tips for old and slow Computers¶
66.1.1. Save CPU Cycles¶
Details while scrolling ...: Use
Simulator Aircraft scroll box size ...: Use a higher value to reduce map updates.
- Close the window
Flight Plan Elevation Profile. It will stop all background processing when closed.
- Avoid airspaces. Switch them off using the button on the airspaces toolbar.
- Switch off all AI traffic in the dialog
Connect. See Options.
- Use the map projection
Mercator. It consumes less resources since it can use the downloaded image tiles as is and does not transform them to the spherical format.
Program crashes on start up: Use Reset all Settings and Restart to get a clean base in case some settings cause problems. If that does not help: Delete the settings and the database files. In Windows 7, 8 or 10 these can be found in
c:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Appdata\Roaming\ABarthel. Delete (or better: rename or move) the files
little_navmap.historyand the directory
little_navmap_db. Try to delete the database first if these cause the problem. Then try to delete the settings files if removing databases did not help.
** Program starts slowly:** This can happen if a distance search is enabled in one of the search tabs. The search is executed at each start. Simply disable the distance search or reset the search options to avoid the slow startup.
Online maps do not load or update: Check your firewall settings if Windows blocks any outgoing connections. Also check if the offline mode was not enabled accidentally in menu
File. Check if Little Navmap can connect to the internet by going to the options dialog on tab
Weather. Use one of the buttons
Testfor NOAA or VATSIM weather. Little Navmap cannot reach the internet if these fail.
Search shows no result or unexpected results: Check the drop down menu for the change indicator
*and the search fields for any remaining text if the distance search does not give any or unexpected results. Use
Reset Searchin the context menu of the result table or press
Ctrl+Rto clear all search criteria.
Search or flight plan tables shows strange column names like
airport_idor others: This can happen if the program is updated. Use
Reset Viewin the context menu of the result table.
The flight plan elevation profile has errors or invalid elevation data: The online elevation data contains several known errors. Use the recommended GLOBE offline elevation data. See Install GLOBE elevation data for information how to install the offline data.
OpenStreetMap shows a dark gray background on some places without hill shading coverage (for example New Zealand). Use another map theme or switch off hill shading for the OpenStreetMap.
Loading of the scenery database takes too long: Exclude scenery directories containing only landclass, elevation data or other for Little Navmap irrelevant data. You can do that in the
Optionsdialog on the
Scenery Library Databasetab. See Select Paths to exclude from loading.
Crash while loading the scenery library database: You can exclude scenery directories in the
Optionsdialog on the
Scenery Library Databasetab if loading of an add-on BGL causes the program to crash. Do not restart the program after it shows the crash dialog and instead load the log file which is typically
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\abarthel-little_navmap.log. The path may vary depending on your Windows installation. Search for the last line in the log-file that looks like:
[2016-10-14 22:58:21.903 default INFO ] unknown: ==== "404 of 521 (77 %)" "APX41080.bgl"
Now search for
APX41080.bgland exclude the file or its directory from loading in the
66.3. Known Problems¶
- Some airport add-ons do not modify the stock airports but only add new scenery and buildings. These add-ons will not be recognized as such and are therefore not highlighted on the map (italic and underlined text).
- Add-on developers have to use all kind of workarounds to avoid FSX or P3D limitations which means the display and information given for add-on airports is not always correct. A lot of these changes are also done to make AI behave properly. Typical examples are: Airports without runways, airports with runway dimensions 0 by 0 ft or 0 ft runway width, taxiways with 0 ft width, seemingly closed taxiways, duplicate airports, duplicate runways in water, taxiways in water, military gates at civilian airports and more.
- Some KML/KMZ files do not show up on the map. Adding a center point pushpin to the KML/KMZ file can fix this.
- Coverage for online elevation and OpenStreetMap hill shading data is limited and currently ends at 60 degree north. Use the OpenTopoMap or Stamen Terrain map themes which have world wide coverage for hill shading.
- There are errors in the online elevation source data (like in northern Italy, Po Valley or Lake Titicaca in Peru and Bolivia) which will show up in the flight plan elevation profile.
- Magnetic declination is partially not set (for example VORDME Cambridge Bay YCB) or inconsistent between airports an adjacent navaids. This is an error in the source data.
- Airports are misplaced (for example Cabo San Lucas, MM15 in Mexico for FSX) compared to the background maps. This is an error in the source data and cannot be fixed.
- Procedures are drawn incorrectly in some cases.
- The airport search attribute
Proceduresdoes not work correctly in the mixed database. It will show only simulator airports having procedures instead of using the Navigraph airport status.
- Dock window layout in Little Navmap can change when resizing or maximizing window and back.
- Window is restored in normal state when changing from a maximized window to fullscreen and back.
- The window layout might not be restored precisely on startup in some cases.
- The flight plan calculation might pop up shortly when starting the program.
- The height of the elevation profile window cannot be reduced in some cases. Reset to default window layout which fixes this. Rearrange or move the elevation profile window to another position which usually solves this. Save the layout once you have a working one.
- Zooming with touchpad or magic mouse does not work properly on macOS. Use the navigation overlay
or one of the other options on page
Optionsif you think it is unusable.
66.3.2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020¶
- Little Navmap cannot read SID and STAR from MSFS. Documentation about MSFS format changes are needed in SDK.
- MSFS multiplayer and real-time AI cannot be displayed yet. These do not appear in the SimConnect interface.
- Simulator weather cannot be shown for MSFS since SimConnect weather functions are deprecated and do not deliver data. Needs update or documentation in MSFS SDK. Use NOAA weather which gives you the most up-to-date weather reports.
- MSFS seems to have no clear concept of scenery order (
Content.xmlseems unreliable) and there is no information in the SDK about this. Add-ons are loaded by alphabetical order by Little Navmap. To put an add-on to the end of the loading list add a
z_to the folder name, for example.
- Flight plan loading in MSFS is flawed and does not produce any error messages if it fails. Quite often MSFS cannot load its own plans correctly.
- Country names are missing in MSFS translation tables and are not available in Little Navmap, therefore.
- Add-ons using the
.fsarchiveencrypted format are not supported. Little Navmap will show only the stock airport instead of the add-on if a package is locked down like this.
- Some aircraft mods do not report correct fuel flow to work around simulator limitations. This cannot be fixed in Little Navmap.
- Some airports files like
LEMG.bglcannot be read due to unknown format. Little Navmap reports
Error: readInt for file "...OMITTED.../LEMG.bgl" failed. Reason 1. Exclude the airport file from reading in options on page
Scenery Library Databaseor simply ignore the message. The stock LEMG and all other airports are not affected by this.
66.4. How to report a Bug¶
If something goes wrong send me any involved files like KML, PLN or BGL (if copyright permits), Little Navmap’s log file and configuration file which both can be located in the about dialog. My e-mail addresses are shown in the about dialog of Little Navmap as well.
Add all necessary information:
- Operating system:
- Windows: 7, 8 or 10
- macOS: High Sierra, Catalina or Big Sur
- Linux: which distribution and version
- X-Plane: 11.40 or 11.50 version
- FSX, FSX SE, P3D or MSFS including version
- Navdata updates if scenery is affected
- Add any flight plans or other files if involved in the error
Please add all steps that are necessary to reproduce the error.
If possible send me the log file.
Please compress log files using ZIP when sending by email.
When an error occurs during loading of the scenery library send me the offending file if size permits. The full name and path of the file is shown on top of the error dialog if a specific is the cause.
If you’re concerned about privacy when sending log files: The log files
will contain all system paths (like your
Documents directory) which
will also include your username as a part of the path. They might also
contain your computer’s name and IP address in your network.
I would suggest you remove this information if you’re concerned about it.
In no case are file names of anything but the flight simulator or its configuration files included. No names or contents of personal files are included in the log files.
I strongly recommend sending the log files by private forum message or by email and not attach them to forum posts where they are publicly visible.